When I wrote about giving away most of my kids’ toys before Christmas, I bet I made a lot of people wonder if I would be giving them replacement toys for Christmas.
Here’s the thing – I never want to get back into that spot where I felt like I needed to throw away all their toys again!
We still plan on giving them Christmas presents….with a little twist.
Anything we get them must either be educational, practical, or provide an experience. Those are the types of gifts my husband and I buy one another anyway; why not the kids, too?
Some may be toy-like, but they won’t just be toys for the sake of being toys. They will have a purpose.
30 Non-Toy Christmas Gift Ideas for Kids
Instead of buying toys to refill our playroom, here are some non-toy Christmas gifts we’re considering. I thought you’d like to see the list also in case you want to do the same thing for your kids!
- Tickets to a play
- Money notepad (SO cute and practical! Perfect for older kids. Click here for the tutorial >>)
- Voucher for a family outing
- Kids Bible
- Basketball or football
- ABC puzzle
- Mini couch or recliner
- Guitar lessons
- Hair bows
- Music (mp3 or cds)
- Personalized backpack
- New lunchbox
- Jewelry Box
- Basketball goal
- Tennis racket
- Special occasion outfit (Easter, Disney shirt)
- Piggy bank + special coins (like silver dollars or $1 coins)
- Movie tickets
- Journal (there’s even a Dude Diary for boys!)
- Science experiment
Do you have any non-toy Christmas gift ideas to add to this list?
It just occured to me that “toys” that encourage your kids to get exercise are a great alternative as well! They’ll stay healthy and you will feel good about giving them one of these!
7 Fitness Based Christmas Gift Ideas for Kids
Here are some things my kids have LOVED over the years that would make amazing “fitness-based gifts”:
- Radio Flyer Tricycle or Balance Bike (younger kids)
- Razor Scooter
- Swing n’Spin Rope Swing
- Jump Rope (this is a sturdy one!)
- Hula Hoop (this one breaks down for travel!)
- Rollerblades (adjustable like this one, or not)
- Tennis Racket
More from WhatMommyDoes
- 18 Best Ways to Give Money as a Gift
- No Bake Cookie Dough Truffles
- Why I’m Getting Rid of Almost ALL My Kids Toys Before Christmas!
PIN THIS FOR LATER!
Latest posts by Lena Gott (see all)
- 10 Failproof Income Generating Blog Tasks (that take the guessing out of blogging) - 06/13/2019
- Six Super Cute Bake Sale Packaging Ideas - 05/27/2019
- What Babies Learn When You Read to Them - 03/13/2019