Gather some healthy food ideas for your family!
Over the past 10 months of overhauling my family’s diet, I’ve come up with a fairly standard weekly healthy grocery shopping list that I use to keep our fridge and pantry stocked with healthy staples.
I have to keep us stocked up with great food options for two reasons. 1) I want us to eat better. This is a real lifestyle change for me and for them. 2) If we run out of food options, then we tend to go out to eat, which spells disaster for my weight loss efforts!
Dieting and losing weight while simultaneously taking care of a family is HARD! Here’s a little bit of info to help you if you are just getting started on your journey.
Healthy Grocery Store Shopping List for 2 Adults, 3 Kids
I add to the list whenever I find a good sale or need to change things up to avoid burnout on the same old foods. But for the most part, listed below is what I always buy (kids are ages 1, 3, and 5 while I write this).
List of Pantry Staples to Buy as They Run Out
In addition to the standard healthy groceries I buy each week, there are items I buy less often, only as they run out. These items help me keep our recipes interesting and tasty, yet still good for us at the same time.
- Old fashioned oats – I always have a huge tub or two on hand for wholesome breakfasts or oatmeal cookies
- Peanut butter or sunflower butter
- Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chocolate chips – I never said I was a food robot! These are the family’s favorite treat.
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Cooking spray
- Chicken broth
- Ketchup and mustard
- Coffee grounds
- Spices (especially cumin, turmeric, garlic salt, sea salt, curry powder, red and black pepper)
- Frozen berries – I keep a large bag of blueberries on hand at all times for waffle toppings, smoothies, etc.
- All purpose flour – I use this sparingly, but sometimes you just need flour to make popovers or something else totally delicious ;=)
This might seem like a lot of food. I won’t lie – it is. But it takes a lot of ingredients to feed 5 hungry people every single meal at home all week long!
What healthy food ideas do you have for your family?
I’d love to hear what you buy for your family…I can always add to this list of healthy food ideas or, even better, create more posts so WhatMommyDoes can offer several sample grocery store lists for readers.
Want to Start at the Beginning of this Weight Loss Series?
Start here! ==>> How I Lost 50 lbs After Having Baby #3