Dorm rooms these days are so cute — they are basically like apartments now instead of the scary rows of bunk beds from days past.
That means that you’ll want to bring a little more to your dorm room instead of just an extra pillow.
To help out, I’ve put together a dorm appliances list that will help you narrow down exactly what to bring to school this year.
Plus—if you are an Amazon customer, get excited…everything on this list is from Amazon! So no changing out of PJs required. 🙂
Make sure you check into your individual school’s dorm rules and see what is and what is not allowed in a dorm. The guidelines and suggestions of freshman dorm essentials below are general, but some universities may have stricter policies than others.
Dorm Appliances List
So many people living in dorms dread gaining the dreaded Freshman 15. Without access to a full kitchen, it can seem impossible to make healthy homemade meals! However, it IS possible to create a mini dorm kitchen of your own! This list of items you need at school will help you to fully stock your personal dorm kitchen.
1) Dorm Microwave
One of the most common freshman dorm room essentials is the humble microwave oven. How else will you heat up your Ramen? 🙂 Here are a couple of dorm microwaves to consider:
- Amazon Basics Microwave: this dorm microwave is not only compact and affordable, but it works with Alexa! That’s right, your days of pushing buttons are done. And, if you don’t already have one, the same microwave oven is also available in a package with an Echo dot.
- Toshiba Microwave with Eco Mode: this particular dorm room microwave has pre-set buttons for all your favorite foods, including…pizza!
- Daewoo Retro Microwave: this is one of the few dorm microwaves that comes in COLOR! And not just basic colors either – there is a red one, a light blue and, my favorite…a pretty mint version!
2) Mini Fridge
Likewise, your private dorm kitchen is going to need a mini fridge. In fact, many schools have a built in place for them so they fit perfectly! There are so many options out there, but here are a few mini fridges I like:
- Amazon Compact Dorm Mini Fridge: The size of this compact mini fridge works great for any size dorm room and while it doesn’t have an icemaker it comes with a separate chamber for your ice cubes so you can keep your drinks cold.
- Stainless Steel Mini Fridge with Freezer: If you’re looking for a mini fridge that will give you space for ice cream this is it!
- Retro Red Mini Fridge: One way to make your dorm room complete is this stylish mini fridge. The adjustable shelves and fruit and veggie drawer aren’t bad either!
3) Toaster Oven
A toaster oven is one of the best things to buy for a college room. Yes, they make toast, but did you know you could actually bake in them too? That includes baked chicken, roasted veggies, your mom’s famous meatloaf…you can make cookies and everything—like an oven at home but on a smaller scale. 🙂 Here are a few dorm room toaster ovens I like:
- Space Efficient Toaster Oven: This unique take on atoaster oven will also fit a small pizza and has two rack positions.
- Gray Easy Clean Toaster Oven: If you’re looking for an easy to clean toaster that’s easier to keep clean this is a great option.
- Breakfast Center Toaster Oven: This multi-function toaster oven has it all, a way to prepare eggs, toast and EVEN make your coffee!
4) Coffee Maker
If there’s one thing college students need, it’s COFFEE! All those late nights of studying and early mornings of math class have to be fueled somehow. 🙂 Even if you aren’t a huge coffee drinker, you can make tea with several of these too. Here are some coffee maker options to consider:
- Individually Brewed Coffee Maker: This is a great affordable option for a quick cup coffee maker in the morning.
- Traditional Coffee Pot: If you like to down a cup of coffee every hour then this 12 cups capacity coffee maker is a great choice. You can even schedule it to wake you up in the morning, then throw it in your travel mug for that early a.m class.
- French Press and Kettle: If you need hot water for your tea this cute kettle is great, and if you like your coffee french pressed and slowly brewed you can pair the kettle with this french press coffee maker for a perfect pair!
5) Instant Pot
Yes, everyone’s favorite pressure cooker is definitely a freshman dorm room essential! Here’s the version I’d recommend plus a few accessories that work well with it:
- Multi-use Instant Pot: This3 quart instant pot can make just about anything and quickly!
- Accessory Pack for Instant Pot: This must-have accessory kit for instant potcomes with everything you’ll need to steam veggies, hard-boil eggs and store your food securely.
- Extra Cooking Pot: If you find that you love the Instant pot, then this additional instant potwill be essential and allow you to prepare multiple items in one sitting.
What’s better after a long walk back from class than a fresh smoothie? Wether you like your smoothies filled with greens or chocolate (or both!) a personal size blender will fit perfectly into your college lifestyle! These ones are small enough to stash in your dorm room kitchen:
- Magic Bullet: This highly-rated 11-piece blender can quickly make your favorite smoothie and many other items as well.
- Efficient Personal Blender: If you want a blender you can blend-and-go with, this colorful blender by Secura is a great option for you.
- Portable Blender: A pink USB-powered blender that lets you take your take your blender with you anywhere you go. It’s super easy to clean too!
7) Countertop Grill
If you love grilled foods, you might be disappointed to learn it’s basically impossible to have a full-fledged private grill in your dorm. However, the small countertop grill of today is a very acceptable substitute! You can make so much more than just grilled meats too—try grilling veggies and making sandwiches. Some countertop grills even double as a panini press.
These grills can get super hot, so be careful! Here are a few countertop grills for your dorm room:
- Searing Countertop Grill: Since you aren’t going to have the luxury of outdoor grilling, this countertop grill is the next best thing with all of the quality and none of the smoke!
- Panini Press Indoor Grill: This Cuisinart-designedpanini press countertop grill and all-purpose indoor grill is also easy to maintatin, an easy choice!
- George Foreman Grill: If you like the smell of bacon in the morning or you want to use the panini press or griddle accessories this classic countertop grill is hard to beat!
FAQs About Dorm Room Appliances
While the dorm room appliances list certainly gave a lot of ideas, there are some other questions I’ve been getting! Here are some of the most asked questions—if you have any more, drop them in the comments and I’ll get back to you!
– What appliances can you have in a dorm room?
To find out what appliances are allowed in dorms, you need to consult your dorm’s regulations. However, the vast majority of items on this dorm room essentials list are generally allowed in most schools.
– Are microwaves allowed in a dorm room?
In most cases, yes! Of course, you’ll want to check with your school regulations and make sure, but as a microwave might just be the most important freshman dorm room essential! If for some reason you are not able to have a microwave, the dorm will likely have a communal one, so you’ll want to grab some microwave accessories to use instead.
– What should I buy for my dorm room kitchen?
It depends on how much cooking you are planning on doing. For some, the basic set up of a mini fridge and microwave works great, while others truly need a mini kitchen in their college dorm room. Think about the meals you will want to make the most, then measure your space before you buy anything additional to make sure it will all fit perfectly.