I get quite a few emails each month from people who want to make money from home asking just exactly how I make money from my blog. Today I thought I’d take a few minutes to explain some of the different ways you can make extra money online for our family from blogging.
How I Make $5000+ Extra Per Month Online
Every month since October 2015, WhatMommyDoes has earned over $5,000 per month (as high as $9,997 in January 2016)! I am slowly putting up each month’s income report as I have time over here.
There are SO many ways you can make money online, but I’ve found that I prefer some ways over others. I strongly prefer being able to sit behind my computer screen, to produce content people like, and to earn extra cash doing so.
Related Reading: Step-by-Step Blog Startup Tutorial (includes a special just for my readers)
(This guide shows you how I would do it if I were starting all over again!)
This is how I came up with the particular mix of money making methods for my blog. Others may differ, but this is what works for me!
- Recommending products I use – One of my favorite ways to earn money from a blog is via affiliate products. This is when you provide a recommendation to a product you like somewhere online (I like using Amazon for this, but there are other companies like Shareasale where you can sign up to promote a variety of merchants). An example of this would be in my 25+ Free Printable Adult Coloring Pages post where I end the post with a list of actual coloring books and colored pencils, etc you can buy if you’d rather have those instead of printing out your own. I sell a handful of these items for Amazon each day, and earn on average 7% commission for each sale. It really adds up! Next up is my review of the Amazon Fire TV, which we love! The key to making money this way is to recommend products you actually use so you can write about them honestly.
- Advertising on my blog – I start by writing content people want to read & place ads on those post. This is the easiest way to make money from a blog because all you have to do is write and get people to read your content.
- Reviewing products and services on my blog for companies – Big companies have marketing budgets that include amounts set aside for “influencer campaigns,” i.e. bloggers and other personalities to promote their products and services. I enjoy writing about companies I geniunely like, so it’s a fun type of job to do. My favorite post recently was for Redbox where they paid me to make a gift for my neighbor and talk about it on the blog…fun, right?!
- Writing e-books – This is my newest method of making money from my blog. I recently published an ebook that teaches other bloggers how to get traffic to their blogs (it’s how we all make money), and I sell it for $25 on the blog itself. I launched the ebook in December 2015, and it’s already sold 210 copies in 3 weeks. I was hoping it would sell over 200 EVER! So it’s done well beyond my wildest dreams. I put about 75 hours into this book and have earned over $3k from it, so it’s turning out to be a wonderful hourly rate when you break it down that way!
- Selling e-books and courses written by other bloggers – When you write an ebook or sell an online course, there is a way to set it up to where anyone who sends sales your way will get a commission (I did it for my ebook and most other online authors do the same). For example, I pay affiliates $10 to sell my $25 ebook. By giving them a sizeable cut, they are motivated to go sell it for me, benefiting both of us. I recommend several resources created by other bloggers and get a commission when someone makes a purchase. I only recommend resources I truly believe in, so these posts are really easy for me to write because I have a lot to say when I love a product! You can see some of my reviews of products and services here: Recommended Blogging Resources page.
- Offering services to other bloggers – I haven’t done this in a while, but one of my favorite things to do is just create things. Like free printables and Pinterest graphics. Sometimes I sell these to other bloggers in Facebook groups dedicated specifically to this purpose. I explain how you can do virtual assistant type services like these in my post 13 Ways to Make Money as a Virtual Assistant for Bloggers.
- Helping people snag deals – Probably in my top 3 ways I like to make money blogging is from helping people find deals. I like it because it’s a “set it and forget it” type approach. I write the money saving tips, publish my content on Pinterest and other social platforms, and let the visitors come to me. When they sign up for one or more deals I’m recommending, I get a commission. Here are two of my favorite examples: How to Triple Stack Coupons and Ebates.
Can This Really Add Up to Over $5,000 Extra per Month???
So there you have it! Seven ways I make money on this blog. Some of you might be wondering if it can really add up to over $5,000 a month. The answer is ABSOLUTELY! If you work hard enough to build up traffic to your blog, it’s fairly easy to monetize that traffic just like I showed you. Most bloggers I know don’t have just one way to monetize (a.k.a. make money) from their blog. It’s a bunch of smaller ways added up.
It just takes a mixture of money making methods to add up overall to $5,000+ per month for me (on my blog, ads pay the best, then my own ebook, then affiliate offers, then company sponsorships….I’m focusing hard on affiliate income right now since it is passive income, so I hope it will be my top earner in the coming months). This will vary from blog to blog depending on the blog content and the blog owner’s preferences.
If you have a blog, you might want to check out the resources I mentioned above. If you don’t have a blog and would like to start one, just start here:
Related Blog Posts
Income Reports Up to $10k/month
Latest posts by Lena Gott (see all)
- 17 Best Things for Kids to Make and Sell - 06/10/2018
- 5 Magnetic Chore Charts That Make Your Kids WANT to Do Chores! - 06/04/2018
- 7 Best Money Making Ideas for Moms - 05/30/2018