I have a habit of attaching catchy phrases to situations in my life where decisions are required. These little phrases help me stay on track without having to over think my decision.
I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like the feeling of buying something and later realizing it was a waste of money. Truthfully, I regret the small useless purchases as well as the larger ones.
I look at that $4 I spent unnecessarily at Starbucks and see thousands that I spent the same way over the years because, at the time, $4 didn’t seem like a big deal. But it really adds up.
What are the 5 Words That Have Saved Me Thousands of Dollars?
When I’m faced with small purchase decisions, I ask myself, “Did I need it yesterday?”
It’s easy to remember, simple to use, and 100% effective at keeping me from buying things I don’t need!
How to Implement this Strategy
1) When faced with a purchase decision at the store, ask yourself, “Did I need it yesterday?”
2) If the answer is no, walk away without regret.
3) If the answer is yes, then ask yourself if you will be getting a good deal and if this is the time to make the purchase.
Whether or not you ultimately end up purchasing the item, you’ll know that you only considered purchasing something you truly needed instead of buying on a whim.
Using “Did I Need It Yesterday” on Different Types of Purchases
With non-grocery items, the answer almost always IS no. 😉 At the grocery store, I turn that question into, “Will I use this for a meal this week or next?” And the only way around that answer being No is whether or not I am getting a great deal and adding to my pantry/freezer stockpile.
This tactic can actually help you make a decision to not go to the mall to shop “just because.” If you can’t think of anything specific you needed yesterday, then the simple solution to save you from spending money unnecessarily is to not go to the mall and do something else with your time. If you were just about to go to the mall, then this tactic just saved you money today!
Do you think this strategy could work for you? Do you use similar catch phrases to help you stick to your goals? If so, please share by leaving a comment below!
- A Beginner’s Guide to Couponing
- A Stupid Easy Way to Make Money
- How to Save Money on Family Meals and Still Eat Well
- How to Save Money AND Make Money with Ebates
- 2 Awesome Printable Coupon Databases to Check Out
- 5 Survey Websites That Actually Pay (two of them give $5 signup bonuses)
- 6 Tax Benefits of Having Kids You Don’t Want to Miss!
- 7 Things You Don’t Really Need But Buy Anyway
- 10 Ways Moms Can Make Money on the Side
This post is included in the Complete Guide for Stay-at-Home-Moms, a collaborative effort by over 50 mom bloggers
- 7 Creative Money Gift Ideas - 05/03/2021
- Teacher Appreciation Week Thank You Letter – Super Cute! - 04/30/2021
- Free Stuff for Moms in 2021 – Over $275 in Freebies! - 04/29/2021